Saturday, August 16, 2014

Objects in the Rearview Mirror

Objects in the Rear view Mirror



Today I ran by Walmart off Barry Road to grab some chips and stuff for the house. Usually I hit up the market, but for what ever reason I went straight when I was supposed to turn onto the highway. I wasn't paying attention.
As I was leaving the parking lot there was a man by an old van with a dog holding a sign that said "Stranded".
I rolled my eyes and thought, "Aren't we all"... And drove past.... But I looked back at him in the rear view mirror. I felt weird. So I drove to Smoothie King  and got a Hulk smoothie and decided to bring it back for him. 
But everything was taking for ever. Traffic was crazy and I missed all the lights and I was certain that he and the dog would be long gone by the time I got back. Which was cool because I love Smoothie King.

He was still there.

So I parked my car by his van (just as beat up and old as he was) and walked over to him. 
So now I am also standing on the side of the road. I am wearing old jeans and a t shirt and I actually have the thought that people may assume I too am begging for money.
But I say hi and ask him his name. 
He shakes my hand and says it is Brian and his dog's name is Amos. Amos has got to be the oldest dog I have ever seen. He was more grey than black, about the size of a large very very hairy goat, and  was super happy to have someone else to pet him.
I tell Brian that I brought a smoothie and that I saw him but acted like I didn't. 
I said I was sorry...to a complete stranger.
He didn't really mind because he said most everyone was like that. Then he tells me I am number 2 for the day. I have no clue at the time what that means.
About then a lady in a navy minivan drove up and one of her kids in the back seat handed Brian 5 bucks. He smiled and said thank you and gave a thumbs up. So I figured as long as I was out there I should talk to him. 
I learned a lot about Brian.

Last night he and Amos slept in Mound Missouri but were on the road before light. They always sleep in the van. He grew up in Michigan and went to the University up there. He has a masters in Psychiatry and worked at the VA hospital in Macomb County and then at Ann Arbor for over 20 years. He is an Army vet. He worked as a counselor for vets who were transitioning from the military or were discharged for different reasons. It took a toll on his physical and mental health and so he, under the advise of another counselor decided to go back to school in New Mexico.
He went into child studies but realized that he was so messed up from all he had listened to in the 20 plus years that he sought help himself. He dropped out of school with out retirement and without a job. 
He bought a van and eventually had to live in it.
That was over 5 years ago. Amos has been with him since Michigan. I listened in shock.
About that time a black shiny new pick-up pulls up next to my SUV. It has an Army sticker in the window.
A kid (about 20ish) hops out and says 
"Hey Brian. Grab your dog and your gas can. We will get your van to the gas station after that and fill it up. You can stay with me for the next few days....or as long as you need."
Brian looks at me and says "he was number 1".
I make a confused face so he says..."The first person to talk to me today".
So the kid smiles at me and Brian gives me a hug and says for at least the 10th time..."this is a really great smoothie Tammy. I once dated a lady named Tammy".



1 comment: